This buttercream is quick, easy, delicious, stable, and versatile!
Use the "US" and "M" buttons below to switch between cup and gram measurements for the ingredients.
- 2 1/2 cups unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 lb powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons cream or milk
- Sift the sugar to remove any lumps and check that the butter is at room temperature - you should be able to slice through it easily with a spatula.
- In a mixer with a beater (paddle) attachment, mix butter for a few seconds until smooth. Add a quarterof the powdered sugar and salt (if using) and mix on the lowest speed until incorporated, about one minute.
- Scrape down to the bottom of the mixing bowl with a spatula to loosen any butter and sugar and add the next quarter of powdered sugar and mix for another minute on low.
- Scrape down to the bottom of the bowl, add another quarter of the powdered sugar, mix for one minute on low, scrape, and add the final quarter of the powdered sugar. Mix for one more minute on low, adding the vanilla once everything is mixed together and continuing to mix until it's incorporated.
- Add the milk or cream and mix for about 30 seconds until it's combined with the buttercream. Check the consistency and add more milk or cream a tablespoon at a time until the buttercream is smooth and easily stirred.
If you use salted butter instead of unsalted, don't add the salt in the recipe