This is a cream cheese frosting for piping, frosting and glazes. It's not too sweet and it pairs perfectly with loads of cake and cupcake recipes.
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Put room temperature butter and cream cheese in a bowl and use an electric mixer to mix until smooth.
- Sift powdered sugar and add to the bowl, mixing until incorporated.
- Add vanilla and salt and mix to combine. The cream cheese frosting should be smooth and easy to stir. You mixer or spatula should leave soft peaks in it.
To fill and frost a three-layer 8" or 9" cake, double this recipe (click X2 at the top).
To make a glaze, microwave the cream cheese frosting for 30 seconds. Add milk a spoonful at a time until you can drizzle the cream cheese frosting as a glaze.
Store cream cheese frosting in an airtight container or a bowl covered with plastic wrap. You can leave it at room temperature for up to 4 hours or in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 weeks or in the freezer for 2 months.