Meringues are beautiful and delicious and easy to make! They make yummy treats and gorgeous cake decorations.
- 4 egg whites (160g)
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon flavour extract
- optional: gel colours
- Bring about an inch of water to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Pour egg whites, sugar and salt into a metal mixing bowl. Place the bowl on top of the saucepan and turn off the heat. Whisk for two minutes, until the mixture feels smooth when you pinch some between your thumb and finger.
- Whisk the mixture on high speed for nine minutes, until it turns bright white and shiny. The whisk will leave texture behind in the meringue as it whisks and when you lift the whisk up, the meringue will hold its shape and make stiff peaks.
- To tint the entire batch, add gel colour now. Add flavour and mix until combined.
- To make different colours of meringue, divide the meringue into separate bowls and add gel colours to each bowl. Gently fold the colour in using a spatula.
- Spoon the meringue into piping bags and pipe shapes onto a baking tray lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Bake at 200F or 95C for 85 minutes. Turn the oven off and leave the meringues inside for one hour to cool gradually.
- Store meringues in an airtight container for two weeks at room temperature or in the fridge or you can freeze them for one month.
To make meringue pops you'll need a paper straw for each meringue. Pipe a dot of meringue onto the parchment or silicone mat, press the top of the straw into the dot, and pipe over it.