Fondant is easy to make and if you don’t mind getting your hands a bit sticky, it’s worth the time to save money on pre-made fondant!
3/4 cups water
3 tablespoons (3/4oz or 21g) gelatin
19 1/2 cups (2500g or 5lb 8oz) powdered sugar
3 tablespoons glycerin
1 1/2 cups liquid glucose
1/3 cup vegetable shortening
1 tablespoon clear (aritificial) vanilla essence
1. Whisk water and gelatin together in a saucepan and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
2. Warm the water and gelatin mixture over low heat, stirring occasionally with a spatula, until the gelatin has dissolved.
3. Add glycerin to the saucepan and stir until dissolved.
4. Add glucose to the saucepan and stir until dissolved.
5. Add shortening to the saucepan and stir until dissolved.
6. Add vanilla or other flavouring to the saucepan. If you want to tint the whole batch the same colour, you can add gel food colour now as well. Remove from heat and set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
7. Measure out the powdered sugar and pile it in a heap on a table or wide counter, making a well in the center.
8. Pour the mixture from the saucepan into the well in the powdered sugar. Optionally, rub vegetable shortening on your hands so that the mixture doesn’t stick to you as much. Use your hands to fold the powdered sugar into the mixture, working quickly so that the mixture doesn’t spill over the edge of the table or countertop. Continue folding until you have made a ball of fondant. It will be sticky until it has set overnight.
9. Wrap the ball tightly in 2 layers of cling film or saran wrap and then place inside a large ziplock bag. Store at room temperature for several weeks.
Watch my video tutorial at the top of the page for visual, step by step instructions!
birdsho fcffda0eb0 https://wakelet.com/wake/AumrtNE_KEAAbK1tuo1za
Hello, thank you for the video and recipe. I searched on youtube for a baker based in England so I ould find the ingredients easily. Do you think in future you could add links or details of where to find some of the ingredients? I appreciate all the work you put into your videos. Thank you